1776A beacon was put on Governor’s Hill to warn of British gunboats.Government and Public Service, Military

On April 16, 1776, the General Court ordered that a beacon should be placed on Governor’s Hill at the top of Commonwealth Avenue. The selectmen and two commissioned offers would be in charge of the beacon, and if and when the enemy’s fleet was discovered, they would fire alarm guns, ring the bells, and light the beacons. Additional beacons were placed in Marblehead, Boston, and the Blue Hills in Milton.

Garland, Joseph E. The Gloucester Guide: A Stroll through Place and Time. The History Press ed, The History Press, 2004.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050