1794A fort was built on Watch House Neck.Economy and Industry, Government and Public Service, Military

Minutes of the Town Meeting, May 12, 1794. Gloucester Town Records, 1753-1800, p. 391.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Minutes of the Town Meeting, May 12, 1794. Gloucester Town Records, 1753-1800, p. 391.

A breastwork had been erected on Watch House Neck (Fort Point) during the Revolutionary War. The town now voted that “the Selectmen of this Town cede to the United States of America all the land, the Property of the Town, on Watch house Neck so called, where the Fort now stands, for the purpose of Erecting a Fortification there.” (Town Records, 391)

Gloucester Town Records, 1753-1800. Vol. 3, 1800, http://archive.org/details/townrecords17531800 Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Gloucester [Mass.] Procter brothers, 1860. http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050