1758A grammar school was permanently located in the Harbor Parish.Government and Public Service, Education

The school was probably located in the building at the intersection of Middle and Washington Streets, which was built by private subscription. Samuel Whittemore was the first teacher. The other parishes continued as circulating schools.

Hurd, D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) ed. History of Essex County, Massachusetts, with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men. Philadelphia, J. W. Lewis & Co., 1888, http://archive.org/details/historyofessexco02hurd. Record of School Buildings, City of Gloucester, 1882.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050