1642A Meeting House was built on the Green.People and Communities, Government and Public Service, City Government, Religion

Shortly after the Blynman party’s arrival, a meeting house was erected on the Green, near the present-day Grant Circle. This was a hub of activity for early settlers. Three additional churches were placed in the same spot until the last one was removed in 1840. People from all over the Cape had to travel to the Green for church services.

Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Gloucester [Mass.] Procter brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog Garland, Joseph E. The Gloucester Guide. 5th ed., Cape Ann Museum, 2018.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050