1889A Portuguese Catholic Parish was established when land was purchased for a church for the Portuguese community.People and Communities, Portuguese History, Religion

“Portuguese church taken from hose tower of Prospect St. Engine House opposite,” c. 1935. Alice M. Curtis, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 21467
Hover over image to zoom

The church would become Our Lady of Good Voyage and would be modeled after a similar structure in the Azores, where the majority of the parishioners emigrated from.

Parsons, Kitty. The Church of Our Lady of Good Voyage. Sawyer Free Library, Booklets & Pamphlets Collection.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050