1869Cape Ann Granite Company was formed.Economy and Industry, Granite Industry, Local Businesses

“Lighter Jonas H. French at Lane’s Cove wharf loading for the Cape Ann Granite Company in Lanesville,” c. 1899. Alexander Cheves, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 12897
Hover over image to zoom

The Cape Ann Granite Company was founded by Colonel Jonah H. French, General Benjamin Butler’s former aide and Bay View neighbor. With General Butler’s financial backing, French acquired Blood Ledge. The olive green granite in this area was very fine, with few imperfections or seams.

The Cape Ann Granite Company opened in 1870. Solomon Trumbull, Charles A. Chadwick, and John Todd formed a business partnership under the name Gloucester Granite Company. They owned quarries in West Gloucester and in Bay View.

Erkkila, Barbara H. Village at Lane’s Cove. Ten Pound Island Book Co., 1989. Erkkila, Barbara H. Hammers on Stone: A History of Cape Ann Granite. 1st ed, TBW Books, 1980.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050