1810Colonel James Tappan built a house on the corner of Washington and Main Streets, which is now known as the Blackburn Building.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

Photo of Colonel James Tappan House on the corner of Main St. and Washington Street, 1882. Corliss & Ryan, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 14720
Hover over image to zoom

Colonel Tappan owned a grocery store, which was moved to the rear of the newly constructed brick building. A few years later Tappan moved to West Parish to start farming. He sold the building, which then became a series of hotels, including the Gloucester House Hotel, Atlantic House, Mason House, Puritan House, and Blackburn Tavern.

“Fitz Henry Lane | Historical Materials.” https://fitzhenrylaneonline.org/historical_material/?section=Brick+Houses+%2F+Gloucester+House+Hotel. Tibbets, Frederick Washington. The Story of Gloucester, Massachusetts, Permanently Settled 1623; an Address. [Gloucester, Clark the printer, 1917, http://archive.org/details/storyofglouceste01tibb.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050