1818Fifth Parish in Sandy Bay, now Rockport, separated from Gloucester.Government and Public Service, City Government

Written notice of the committee appointed by the town of Gloucester that gave permission for the separation of Fifth Parish, May 18, 1818. Courtesy of the Gloucester City Archives, CC207, FF1
Hover over image to zoom

The Fifth Parish petitioned the General Court to separate from Gloucester, which was approved on May 18, 1818, given that they “sustain the just and equitable proportion of the Town’s debts and of the poor size, and provided that the decision line should be seen in such a manner as would appear proper and consistent.” This separation did not take place until 1840.

Gloucester City Archives, CC207, FF 1
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050