1742First Parish was divided.People and Communities, Government and Public Service, City Government, Religion

Letter to Governor William Shirley asking to set off the 4th Parish. The First Church of Gloucester Collection, Box 4, Folder 1, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Gloucester, MA.
Hover over image to zoom

On December 15, the General Court ordered that the First Parish was to be divided into two separate parishes. The southern or harbor area was now designated as First Parish. Reverend John White became pastor of the church, which occupied the Meeting House erected in 1738 on Middle St. The northern section became the Fourth Parish. In 1743, the Fourth Parish church was organized. Reverend John Rogers of Kittery, Maine became minister and remained for 38 years.

Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
4th Parish Records, 1743-1839, p. 2 https://archive.org/details/GLO4thParishRecordsImages/page/n3/mode/2up?view=theater
Hover over image to zoom
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050