1700 (ca.)Lane’s Cove was named for John and Dorcas Lane, who ran a trading post.People and Communities, Location and Setting, Neighborhoods, Notable People

The Lane family came to Gloucester from Maine, sometime after 1690. By 1700, the Lanes had opened a trading post and built a house at Flatstone Cove. By 1704, John Lane received a grant to the land that ran from Plum Cove Beach to Flatstone Cove, which was renamed Lane’s Cove.

Erkkila, Barbara H. Village at Lane’s Cove. Ten Pound Island Book Co., 1989. Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050