1727Nathaniel Sargent kept a tavern, which might have been located at “Done Fudging” on the Annisquam River.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Entertainment, Local Businesses

Swimming pool at Dun Fudgin in landing behind present Gloucester High School, c. 1930s. Alfred Bernard, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 22362
Hover over image to zoomView More

“Done Fudging” (or Dunfudgin) is the local term used for the place on the Annisquam River where the opposing currents meet. Before the river was dredged, boatmen used poles to ferry their boat or rafts against the current, called fudging, and tied up at Done Fudging to wait for the tide to change. Historian John James Babson speculates that Nathaniel Sargent kept a tavern at this spot, which is behind the current High School, to accommodate fishermen passing through the Cut.

Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog Fitz Henry Lane | Looking up Squam River from Done Fudging, 1850s (Inv. 26) | Catalog Entry. https://fitzhenrylaneonline.org/catalog/entry.php?id=26.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050