1932North Light on Thacher’s Island was extinguished as a cost-cutting measure.Economy and Industry, Maritime & Fishing Industry

A submarine cable that had been laid in 1902 provided power for the south light, which was intensified to 70,000 candlepower.

On May 3, 1932, it was reported that the master of the steamship Falmouth saw the newly intensified south light from a distance of 44 miles, an unusually high distance for any lighthouse.

“Thacher Island Twin Lights History.” NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSES: A VIRTUAL GUIDE, http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/thacher-island-twin-lights-history.html.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050