1915Our Lady of Good Voyage was rebuilt after the 1914 fire.People and Communities, Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Religion

Commercial postcard: Edwin C. McIntire, Gloucester, Our Lady of Good Voyage, c. 1920s. Courtesy of Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 13326
Hover over image to zoom

Prominent architect Halfdan M. Hanson designed and immediately began building the Mission-style church, which was modeled after the Santa Maria Madelena church in Pico, Azores. It features a statue of Our Lady of Good Voyage, who holds a boat in her left hand as a symbol of a safe voyage. In 1922, one of the oldest sets of full carillon bells in the United States was installed in the towers.

“20 Our Lady.” Gloucester HarborWalk, https://www.harborwalk.gloucester-ma.gov/locations/20-our-lady/. Our Lady of Good Voyage Church, Featured in Maritime History of Massachusetts--A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary. https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/maritime/lad.htm.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050