1876Saint Ann Church was built.People and Communities, Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Religion

Saint Ann Church, c. 1880s. Courtesy of Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 19811
Hover over image to zoom

As immigrant groups who practiced Catholicism arrived in Gloucester, a need for a Roman Catholic Church increased between the 1840s and the 1870s. The first Catholic mass took place in 1849 and in 1855, a meeting house was bought from the Baptist Church and moved to Pleasant Street. Reverend J. J. Healy acquired the property for a church and a parochial house, and Saint Ann Church was built during the year 1876 and remains an impressive stone edifice.

Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Historic Building Detail: GLO.276, Saint Ann's Church. https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=GLO.276
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 837searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050