1944Sculptor Paul Manship bought a 15-acre piece of land in Lanesville from the Rockport Granite Company after it sold, which included the two quarries Butman Pit and Canney’s Quarrey.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Granite Industry, Art

Gloucester Daily Times. “Noted Sculptor Buys Two Large Quarry Tracts.” April 11, 1944.
Hover over image to zoom

Paul Manship had been visiting Gloucester since 1915. Due to war shortages, Manship purchased the Saunders-Story House in Pigeon Cove and had the building moved to the rim of Butman’s Pit on his property. Later, he purchased an ox barn at Hodgkin’s Cove in Bay View, which was taken down and rebuilt on his property overlooking Canney Quarry.

After he purchased his property, it became a hub of social life for Lanesville sculptors, including George Demetrios and his wife, the author, illustrator, and founder of the Folly Cove Designers, Virginia Lee Burton. When their own home burned down in 1947, they moved to the Manships’ home until theirs was rebuilt.

The house is now owned and operated by the Manship Artist Residence and Studios, a non-profit dedicated to preserving the estate.

“Cape Ann Sculptors.” Northshore Magazine, 12 Apr. 2017, https://www.nshoremag.com/faces-places/cape-ann-sculptors/. The Pygmalion Syndrome Art Gallery: Diana by Paul Manship. http://www.p-synd.com/manship.htm#bio.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches