1735Seven school districts were created and circulating schools started.Government and Public Service, Education

Minutes of Town Meeting, October 21, 1735. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762. 1762, pp. 146-147.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Minutes of Town Meeting, October 21, 1735. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762. 1762, pp. 146-147.

Since the building of the schoolhouse in 1708 at the site of the Meeting House on the Green, the town’s population had grown sufficiently in other parishes, and travel to the school was difficult for many inhabitants. In 1735, the town voted to create school districts along parish lines with each parish ordered to provide a schoolhouse. There were seven districts in all; First Parish, the largest, contained three districts. Under the circulating system, each district was allotted a certain amount of time for instruction, according to the amount of taxes paid.

Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762. Vol. 2, 1762, https://archive.org/details/GLOOriginalRecords16941762Images/mode/2up Hurd, D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) ed. History of Essex County, Massachusetts, with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men. Vol. II. Philadelphia, J. W. Lewis & Co., 1888. http://archive.org/details/historyofessexco02hurd
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050