1919The American Legion called its first meeting.People and Communities, Government and Public Service, Military, Local Organizations

Legion Hall at 21 Middle Street where the American Legion called its first meeting, 1923. Gordon Thomas, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 18249
Hover over image to zoom

On July 12, 1919, the charter for the Gloucester chapter of the American Legion was granted with the designation of Post No. 3. It was named after Captain Lester S. Wass, who died leading his men in battle near Vierzy, France in July 1918. The post immediately helped war veterans apply for $100 state bonuses. By November 1920, they had acquired the former Town Hall on Washington Street.

Gloucester Daily Times. “Grant Charter for Legion Post Here.” July 12, 1919, Vol. 55 No. 9214 edition. https://sawyer.advantage-preservation.com/. “Captain Lester S. Wass American Legion Post 3 |.” https://www.post3.org/.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050