1801The Annisquam lighthouse was built.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Maritime & Fishing Industry

Annisquam Lighthouse, 1969. Graeme Stewart, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 12676.
Hover over image to zoom

Congress appropriated $2,000 in April 1800 for a lighthouse at Wigwam Point, the northwesterly point of Annisquam. Gustavus Griffin sold six and a half acres of land for the station to the government for $140. A two-room, wood-frame keeper’s house was built near the tower. James Day was the first keeper. The original was a 40-foot-tall wooden octagon that burned sperm oil before kerosene replaced it a century later. The wooden lighthouse was replaced by a brick structure in 1897 and the oil lamp was replaced by electricity in 1922.

Garland, Joseph E. The Gloucester Guide: A Stroll through Place and Time. The History Press ed, The History Press, 2004. “Annisquam Light History.” NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSES: A VIRTUAL GUIDE, http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/annisquam-light-history.html Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Historic Building Detail: GLO.LH, Annisquam Harbor Light Station. https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=GLO.LH
67categories 1586total entries 400+years 958searches