1740 (ca.)The Babson-Alling House was built.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

The house was built at the Town Green, by Joseph Allen for his son William. In 1765 it was sold to Boston merchant Isaac Smith, who in turn sold it to John Low, Jr. One of Low’s eight children, Elizabeth Gorham Low, married Nathaniel Babson. When Low died, the house passed to his daughters, and later his daughter Elizabeth’s son Gustavus Babson. The house remained in the Babson family until the 20th century when it was eventually inherited by Elizabeth Alling, the great-great-grandaughter of John Low.

The Babson-Alling house stands on its original foundation, as does the barn nearby. From the mid-1800’s the Babsons farmed the fields behind the house. The front gardens were destroyed by the construction of the Route 128 rotary. The Cape Ann Museum purchased the house in 2019.

Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Historic Building Detail: GLO.1022, Babson-Alling House. https://mhc-macris.net/#!/details?mhcid=GLO.1022. Cape Ann Museum. “Babson-Alling House (c.1740).” https://www.capeannmuseum.org/collections/babson-alling-house/.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050