1870The Cape Ann Granite Company provided an 18- by 7-foot slab of granite for the front steps of the Baptist Church on the corner of Pleasant and Warren Streets.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Granite Industry

The doorstone for the new Baptist Church on Pleasant St., 1870 Cape Ann Museum Library & Archive, Photo 01951
Hover over image to zoom

The Cape Ann Granite Company used 15 oxen to tow the largest slab they had ever provided downtown. The step stayed in place until 1966 when it was moved to the path to the Fitz Henry Lane House by the Cape Ann Historical Association.

Erkkila, Barbara H. Village at Lane’s Cove. Ten Pound Island Book Co., 1989.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 870searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050