1709The Davis-Freeman house was built.People and Communities, Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, African American History

Wellspring House, History Lives Here: Freeman Family Project.
Hover over image to zoom

Jacob Davis, who operated a sawmill near the head of Little River, acquired a grant of land near the mill in 1709, where he built a new house by 1712. For most of the 18th century, the house operated as a tavern.

In 1826, Robert Freeman, son of formerly enslaved Robin (Byles) Freeman, bought the house from the Stanwood family, and successive generations of the Freeman family occupied the house until the death of Hattie Freeman Johnson in 1931. In the 1930s the house operated as the Stage Coach Inn until it was sold in 1943 and became a residence. It is currently home to the Wellspring House.

Correspondent, Claire Law Globe, Updated June 19, 2023 “A Wellspring of Black Family History Uncovered at Gloucester House - The Boston Globe.” BostonGlobe.com. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/19/metro/wellspring-black-family-history-uncovered-gloucester-house/. Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Historic Building Detail: GLO.1055, Davis-Freeman House. https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=GLO.1055
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050