1829The Eastern Point Lighthouse was built.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Maritime & Fishing Industry

Courtesy of Sawyer Free Library, Cape Ann Vertical Files, Box 10, FF 1
Hover over image to zoom

The federal government bought an acre of land at the end of Eastern Point in the late 1820s where a stone beacon tower was built. It was rebuilt on the same foundation in 1848 and reconstructed again in 1890 at a height of 57 feet above the mean water mark. Initially, this was a day beacon using a whale oil lamp. In 1831, a light keeper’s cottage was added, first occupied by Keeper Wonson. The revolving lantern and fog bell were operated by hand-wound clockworks until the installation was electrified. In 1985, the Coast Guard fully automated the lighthouse as well as the light structure at the end of the Dog Bar breakwater.

Garland, Joseph E. The Gloucester Guide: A Stroll through Place and Time. The History Press ed, The History Press, 2004.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches