1738The First Parish meeting house was built on Middle Street.People and Communities, Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Religion

Accounts for building of Meeting house. The First Church of Gloucester Collection, Box 6, Folder 1, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Gloucester, MA.
Hover over image to zoom

Nine years had passed since the discussion of a new meeting house began. During that time, several harbor residents donated money to erect a meeting house on Middle Street. The parish majority voted in the fall of 1738 to move public worship to the new building. The northern representatives of First Parish demanded a separation and petitioned the General Court.

Heyrman, Christine Leigh. Commerce and Culture: The Maritime Communities of Colonial Massachusetts, 1690-1750. 1st ed, Norton, 1984.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050