1642The first sawmill was built on Cape Pond Brook or Alewife Brook (Beaver Dam).Economy and Industry, Industry

Town Records Book 1, pg. 36
Hover over image to zoomView More
Town Records Book 1, pg. 36

Timber was an important resource to early Cape Ann settlers for building and heating houses. In 1642, a small committee was appointed to select a location for a sawmill and the Cape Pond Brook was chosen. A large dam was created and a water wheel was built that would power a saw to cut boards used in building homes. In the fall, the sawmill was used to grind corn. The mill was called Ellery Mill, as it was built by William Ellery.

Gloucester Town Records, 1642-1715. Vol. 1, 1715, https://archive.org/details/GLOTownRecords16921715Images Babson, Roger, and Foster H. Saville. Cape Ann Tourist’s Guide. Cape Ann Community League, Inc., 1952.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050