1708The first school was built on the east side of the Meeting House.Arts and Culture, Government and Public Service, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Education

Minutes of Town Meeting, May 12, 1707. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, p. 73.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Minutes of Town Meeting, May 12, 1707. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, p. 73.

Until this time, the Meeting House served as a schoolroom. In 1707, the town voted to construct a new building that would measure 24 feet long and 16 feet wide. It was built on the east side of the Meeting House, at a cost of £24 15s.

Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762. http://archive.org/details/GLOOriginalRecords16941762Images Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog. Hurd, D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton) ed. History of Essex County, Massachusetts, with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men. Vol. II. Philadelphia, J. W. Lewis & Co., 1888. http://archive.org/details/historyofessexco02hurd
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050