1844The first Town Hall was built.Arts and Culture, Government and Public Service, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, City Government

Gloucester’s first Town House at the present-day American Legion Building, which was erected in 1844 and occupied on March 17, 1845, c. 1890. Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 13191
Hover over image to zoom

The first Town Hall was built on Washington Street. When the new City Hall was built on Dale Avenue, this building became the Forbes School and is now home to the American Legion.

Tibbets, Frederick Washington. The Story of Gloucester, Massachusetts, Permanently Settled 1623; an Address. [Gloucester, Clark the printer, 1917, http://archive.org/details/storyofglouceste01tibb.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 834searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050