1974The Fishermen’s Institute on Duncan Street was taken by eminent domain and razed.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Maritime & Fishing Industry

Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Box A28
Hover over image to zoom

After years of financial struggles and the push for urban renewal, lodgings were terminated on September 1, 1974, and the Gloucester Housing Authority took possession. On September 11, the building and land were handed over, and within months the building was razed.

Oaks, Martha. The Gloucester Fishermen’s Institute, 1891-1991 : “A Social Center for Men of the Sea.” Gloucester Fishermen’s Institute, 1991.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 870searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050