1700 (ca.)The Garrison House, sometimes referred to as the Witch House, was built in present-day Rockport.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

The Witch House, built 1692, at Pigeon Cove in Rockport, Mass., Sawyer Free Library Postcard Collection, NOBLE Digital Heritage, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/s/gloucester/item/492 .
Hover over image to zoom

There are two local legends concerning the Garrison House, also known as the Witch House. In the first, it was built as a garrison house during King Philip’s War. The other legend is that it was built by two brothers in 1692 to protect their mother Elizabeth Proctor who was accused of witchcraft. Elizabeth’s husband John was executed. She was forced to leave Salem. (https://vintagerockport.com/2012/01/21/the-witch-house-in-winter-pigeon-cove-mass-circa-1920/).

According to the Massachusetts Cultural Information Resource System, the house was occupied around 1700 by Joshua Norwood and his wife.

Swan, Marshall Wilbur Stephen. Town on Sandy Bay: A History of Rockport, Massachusetts. Published for the Town History Committee by Phoenix Pub, 1980. https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=RCP.12
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050