1948The highway bridge was built for the new highway, Route 128, over Essex Avenue at the foot of Slough Hill in West Gloucester.Economy and Industry, Government and Public Service, Infrastructure, Transportation

The first car to cross the new bridge as shown in the Gloucester Daily Times, Left to right: Louis J. Fritz, of the State Public Works Engineer’s office; Arthur D. Merchant of 3 Forest Street; Robert S. Foster, Jr., the state’s resident engineer on the project from its inception in 1947, November 8, 1950. Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 21933
Hover over image to zoom

The new bridge was constructed by the bridge-building firm Munroe-Langstroth Inc. of North Attleboro. The bridge was 14 feet high and used Cape Ann granite.

Gloucester Daily Times. "A New Landmark Has Been Created in West Paris." December 29, 1948.
Gloucester Daily Times. "A New Landmark Has Been Created in West Paris." December 29, 1948.
Hover over image to zoom
67categories 1586total entries 400+years 958searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050