1821The lighthouse on Ten Pound Island was lit.Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Maritime & Fishing Industry, Buildings and Architecture

Ten Pound Island Lighthouse, n.d., United States Coast Guard, Photo Collection, https://www.history.uscg.mil/Our-Collections/Photos/igphoto/2002198585/
Hover over image to zoom

The 20-foot tall conical stone structure was the first of several lighthouses built on Ten Pound Island to guide mariners into the inner harbor. The lighthouse and granite oil house were both established during this year. A cast iron lighthouse replaced the original in 1881. The lighthouse has shared the 3.5 acre island with the Coast Guard’s first naval air station and radio compass, and a marine fisheries hatchery operated by the U.S. Fish Commission from 1889 until 1954.

Garland, Joseph E. The Gloucester Guide: A Stroll through Place and Time. The History Press ed, The History Press, 2004. “Ten Pound Island Light, Featured in Maritime History of Massachusetts--A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary.” https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/maritime/ten.htm.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050