1660The Riggs House was built.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

The Riggs House belonged to Thomas Riggs who settled here in 1658 and received a grant of land at Goose Cove. He served as town clerk from 1665 to 1716, was a selectman for twenty years, and often served as the schoolmaster. The home still stands on Vine Street.

Tibbets, Frederick Washington. The Story of Gloucester, Massachusetts, Permanently Settled 1623; an Address. [Gloucester, Clark the printer, 1917, http://archive.org/details/storyofglouceste01tibb Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches