1764The Sanders (now spelled Saunders) House was built on Middle Street.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

88 Middle Street, 1882. Corliss & Ryan, Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 20217
Hover over image to zoom

The Saunders House was built in 1764 by Thomas Saunders (sometimes spelled Sanders). It was acquired in 1774 by Captain John Beach, who hired the architect Jacob Smith in 1802 to build an additional two floors including an observatory, which later disappeared. Later, General William Pew added a Victorian tower, which was removed in the 20th century.

The house was purchased in 1884 by Samuel Sawyer to be used as the Sawyer Free Library. A new book wing was added in 1913 and a children’s library in 1915.

Fish, Prudence Paine. Antique houses of Gloucester: the families who built them, the mayor who moved them and the changing face of the harbor village. Gloucester, MA: Andrew Joyce & Associates, 2022. “Library History – Gloucester Lyceum & Sawyer Free Library.” https://www.sawyerfreelibrary.org/about/about-us/library-history/.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050