1926The sculptor Leonard Craske and artist Milton Avery rented cottages for their studios on Rocky Neck Avenue.People and Communities, Arts and Culture, Notable People, Art

Milton Avery, Bridge to the Sea, 1937, Gouache on paper, Cape Ann Museum,
Hover over image to zoom

The first buildings in the area were fish houses for the Wonson family’s Gloucester Salt Fish Company. In the 1920s the West Wharf was converted by the family into residential studios and separate cottages. In 1926, Avery and Craske rented two of these cottages for their studios.

“Studios of Leonard Craske and Milton Avery.” Rocky Neck Historic Art Trail, 16 Jan. 2019, http://trail.rockyneckartcolony.org/index.php/studios-of-leonard-craske-and-milton-avery/.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050