1870The Tarr & Wonson Copper Paint Factory was built.Arts and Culture, Economy and Industry, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Local Businesses

Tarr & Wonson Paint Factory, n.d. Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 20871
Hover over image to zoom

The Tarr & Wonson Copper Paint Factory was established at Tarr’s Wharf in 1863 by Augustus Wonson and James G. Tarr but moved to its present location in 1870.

Tarr and Wonson improved on the concept of copper-based paint to combat marine life that drilled through the wooden hulls of ships. They shipped their paint to ports all over the world.

Wright, John Hardy. Gloucester and Rockport. Arcadia, 2005. “14 The Paint Factory.” Gloucester HarborWalk, http://gloucester.harborwalk.org/story-posts/sp-14/. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. “Tarr and Wonson Paint Factory, End of Horton Street, Gloucester, Essex County, MA.” Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/ma1716/.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 700searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050