1826The Town Grammar School was made a circulating school.Government and Public Service, Education

The history of the public schools of Gloucester began in 1804 when the town was divided into eleven school districts. The Town Grammar School was kept in the Harbor Parish. This arrangement was unsatisfactory to people in distant parishes, and after years of dissension, the town created a circulating school in its place. Money appropriated for the school would be divided yearly among the several school districts. The Town Grammar School would not re-open until 1839.

Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Gloucester [Mass.] Procter brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 705searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050