1723The Town Green was dedicated to public use as a military training ground.Government and Public Service, Military

Roads leading inland and away from the ocean were needed during military emergencies. At the same time that the Town Green was dedicated as a military training ground, the town set aside a tract of land for similar purposes near the recently built Second Parish Church in West Gloucester.

Essex Institute, Thomas E. Babson. "Evolutions of Cape Ann Roads and Transportation, 1623-1955: A Talk before the Cape Ann Historical Association, April 11, 1955." Oct. 1955.
67categories 1557total entries 400+years 705searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050