1708The town voted to divide the remaining common land.Economy and Industry, Government and Public Service, Land Ownership, City Government

Minutes of Town Meeting, June 22, 1708. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, p. 78.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Minutes of Town Meeting, June 22, 1708. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, p. 78.

At the June 22 Town Meeting, a committee was chosen to divide the land among all inhabitants who were paying taxes and had common rights. The lots were drawn up into four, six, and eight acres like the previous year. Each commoner was given a plot of land “between the South side of Long Cove, at Sandy Bay, and the head of Starknought harbor and the great fresh pond; reserving the way that is made use of from Starknought Harbor to Sandy Bay, and likewise the ways that go down to several landing places along the shore where people used to load in wood; likewise to all the commoners to have ten or twelve acres of ground each joining to the line between Ipswich, Gloucester, and Manchester.” (Gloucester Town Records, 78)

Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762. http://archive.org/details/GLOOriginalRecords16941762Images Babson, John James, and Samuel Chandler. History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Anne, Including the Town of Rockport. Procter Brothers, 1860, http://archive.org/details/historytownglou00changoog
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 865searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050