1724The town voted to not open the Cut, which was filled in by the last storm.Economy and Industry, Infrastructure, Maritime & Fishing Industry

Minutes of Town Meeting, October 20, 1724. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, pg. 107.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Minutes of Town Meeting, October 20, 1724. Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762, pg. 107.

The opening at the Cut was shallow and narrow, so storms and high tides periodically filled it with sand and debris, making it impassable. After Reverend Blynman left town in 1646, the Cut’s subsequent private owners were challenged by town officials to keep it open. These contentious fights resulted in stalemates, as was the case in 1724 when voters refused to use public funds to dredge the private canal.

Gloucester Town Records, 1694-1762, 1762. http://archive.org/details/GLOOriginalRecords16941762Images
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 844searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050