1974The west end of the Front Street Block was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, Neighborhoods

Gloucester Daily Times. “Front Street Block recently listed in National Register of Historic Places.” July 29, 1974.
Hover over image to zoom

These include a group of four buildings constructed after the Great Fire of 1830, which destroyed most of what is now Main Street but was known as Front Street at the time.

The buildings include:
– 55-59 Main Street, whose original owner was Henry Smith and whose original use was for Cabinet Manufactory with a living area above
– 61-63 Main Street, whose original owner was William Babson and whose original use was for “English and West India Goods, Groceries, Hardware, etc.” with a living area above
– 65-67 Main Street, whose original owner was Samuel Bulkley and whose original use was for Tin Manufactory, with a living area above
-69-71 Main Street, whose original owner was Aaron Day and whose original use was for Hat Manufactory, with a living area above

Gloucester Daily Times. "Front Street Block recently listed in National Register of Historic Places." July 29, 1974. National Register of Historic Places and National Historic Landmarks Program Records: Massachusetts. Front Street Block. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/63794786
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050