1710The White-Ellery House was built at the Meeting House Green.People and Communities, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, African American History

Gloucester, Mass. : Old Ellery House, Sawyer Free Library Postcard Collection, NOBLE Digital Heritage, https://omeka-s.noblenet.org/s/gloucester/item/4508.
Hover over image to zoomView More
Cape Ann Museum, White-Ellery House (1710) Video Tour

The house, originally situated on the Town Green, was used as a parsonage for Reverend John White. It was later owned by James Stevens and used as a tavern, where the selectmen sometimes met. In 1740, Captain William Ellery bought the house, and for the next 200 years, it was occupied by six generations of the Ellery family. William Ellery was captain of the slave ship Jenny, owned by the Boston merchant Timothy Fitch. His sons William and Elias were also involved in the slave trade. The house was moved to its present location in 1947 when the rotary was constructed. Since that time the house has been owned by the Cape Ann Museum.

Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Historic Building Detail: GLO.1008, White-Ellery House. https://mhc-macris.net/details?mhcid=GLO.1008 Slave Schooners and Slave Traders | Cape Ann Slavery. https://capeannslavery.org/slave-schooners-and-slave-traders/ Cape Ann Museum. “Historic Properties.” http://www.capeannmuseum.org/visit/camgreen/historic-properties/.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050