1947The White-Ellery House was moved to a new location across Washington Street.Arts and Culture, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture

Ellery House just prior to being moved to make way for Route 128, September 1947. Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 21923
Hover over image to zoom

Plans were unveiled showing the soon-to-be-constructed Route 128 coming into Gloucester directly through the Town Green and on the doorstep of the White-Ellery House. Realizing the house’s importance, the City of Gloucester took it by eminent domain and sold the building to the Cape Ann Historical Museum with the proviso that it be moved immediately. The house was picked up and moved approximately 100 yards to its present location.

Gloucester City Archives, 1947 City Council Document #274
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050