1771Two lighthouses were built on Thacher Island.Economy and Industry, Infrastructure, Maritime & Fishing Industry

Thacher’s Island North Light, c. 1900. Cape Ann Museum Library & Archives, Photo 13978
Hover over image to zoomView More
Gloucester Town Records, 1753-1800. Vol. 3, 1800, p. 127.

John Hancock petitioned the General Court to acquire Thacher Island to safeguard shipping interests, including his own, by building lighthouses on the island off of Rockport. He proposed a tax on Boston ship owners to pay for the construction and maintenance of both lighthouses. The original 45-foot tall twin lighthouses stood 90 feet above sea level. They were replaced in 1861 by 124-foot-high stone structures that still stand.

Gloucester Town Records, 1753-1800. Vol. 3, 1800, http://archive.org/details/townrecords17531800 NEW ENGLAND LIGHTHOUSES: A VIRTUAL GUIDE. “Thacher Island Twin Lights History.” http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/thacher-island-twin-lights-history.html.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 845searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050