1710West Parish [Second Parish] petitioned for land to use for a Meeting House.People and Communities, Government and Public Service, City Government, Religion

Town Records, Book 2, pg. 83
Hover over image to zoomView More
Town Records, Book 2, pg. 83

Members of West Parish had to travel between three and five miles and take a ferry to attend religious services. The town did not grant the petition, but the selectmen were to find a schoolmaster and preacher for three to four months during the winter. These positions would be paid for by the town.

Pringle, James R. History of the Town and City of Gloucester, Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Published by the City of Gloucester Archives Committee and the Ten Pound Island Book Co., 1997. Viator, Carl F. The Church in the Wilderness, 1713-1963. West Gloucester Trinitarian Congregational Church, 1963.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 919searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050