1870Local entrepreneur and philanthropist Samuel E. Sawyer purchased the clock and bell for the tower of the new Town Hall.Arts and Culture, Government and Public Service, Location and Setting, Buildings & Architecture, City Government

Carnig Ekserzian, Samuel E. Sawyer, c. 1935-1943, The Massachusetts WPA Federal Art Project Photograph Collection, Boston Public Library, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/4168b683n
Hover over image to zoom

The bell was built by Jones & Company of Troy, New York, and weighed 4,400 pounds. It was donated for the dedication of the new Town House. The Cape Ann Advertiser remarked, “Mr. Samuel E. Sawyer, who is always doing something to please us, sometimes in the way of charity, sometimes in ornaments to our schoolhouses, and sometimes by books for our instruction and amusement, has placed in the tower of this building another clock, and added to the gift a heavy and sweet-toned bell. This kindness and generosity on the part of Mr. Sawyer will be appreciated by our people who will ever hold him in grateful remembrance.”

Cape Ann Advertiser. "Dedication of the New Town House." June 23, 1871.
67categories 1576total entries 400+years 870searches
1600165017001750180018501900195020002050